Thursday 28 February 2008

RIP


I am in mourning! My most useful knife died! Wah!
When I moved into my first bedsit in 1960 after leaving the Methodist Hostel in Highbury, my Mum sent me a box of useful things. It contained used teatowels, towels and a knitted teacosy... with ears like a rabbit!!
It also contained a set of four steak knives and forks plus this bread knife. I suspect they were free with petrol or some such, but they were brilliant. They are all still in regular use but this knife has been used every single day since as a bread knife and carving knife. That is for 48years!!
Yesterday I was buttering some bread and it just snapped.
After such wonderful service... I thought it deserved it's picture on my blog.

6 comments:

Gill said...

I think that is a suitably dignified tribute to a fine piece of metal, Dorothy.

I bought a fuchsia pink knife the other day. Really. Ask Maggie. It's brill and I love it!

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Thanks Gill,
Now I want to see a pic of that fuchsia one!
Dorothy

Helen said...

poor old thing (the knife I mean). Did you pay your mum for the knives?...lol you know the saying?

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Helen, No I didn't and yes I do know the saying but don't bother with things like that. I didn't get any bad luck with this one all the time I used it! Mind you, it might not have died if I did! grin

mycamerandme365 said...

The way you have presented the knife in the picture makes it look as if it's a framed tribute to a very worthwhile companion!

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Hi Sue, Oh it was! grin
It occurs to me that I should keep the handle bit to use as a lever to open tin lids, etc ... instead of bending another perfectly good knife!